Drawing upon the voices of cultural leaders to protect and assist the vulnerable, marginalized, and displaced.
Not On Our Watch is a federally registered 501(c)3 charity.
WASHINGTON -- New DigitalGlobe satellite imagery confirms that Sudan and South Sudan have violated recent agreements by positioning troops in what is supposed to be a 12-mile (20-kilometer) demilitarized buffer zone along their contested border. Continued satellite monitoring of military installations, near the border villages of Heglig and Kiir Adem, prove that both governments have violated their obligations under the March 2013 treaty in which they agreed to implement September 2012 peace agreements.
WASHINGTON -- Satellite imagery from March 5, 2013, analyzed for the Satellite Sentinel Project (SSP) by DigitalGlobe’s Analysis Center, shows newly-arrived main battle tanks, 10 heavy transporters (HETS), and two Mi-24 helicopter gunships, in Heglig, an oil producing region in South Kordofan, Sudan, which South Sudan claims lies within its territory. Heglig was the scene of the last major military engagement between Sudan and South Sudan in April 2012.
This op-ed was written by NOOW partner The Enough Project Associate Policy Director, Brian Adeba, and originally appeared in Sudan Tribune.
The replacement of South Sudan’s First Vice President Riek Machar with Taban Deng is a well-tested policy that dates back to the 1980s that the ruling Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) party has employed to purchase the loyalty of groups opposed to it. Following a shoot-out between the bodyguards of President Salva Kiir and Machar earlier this month, relations between both men worsened, culminating in an attack on the latter’s residence in the capital Juba. Machar fled the city and said he would only return if regional peacekeeping troops were allowed in the country to act as a buffer between the two forces.
Power play “brings South Sudan a step closer to full-scale war”
Read more after the jump.
Upon returning from South Sudan this past week, Not On Our Watch board member John Prendergast has addressed the current situation in-country.
Click through to read further.
This op-ed, authored by board member John Prendergast, originally appeared on The Daily Beast.
Just a day after South Sudan marked its fifth anniversary as the world's newest independent country, fierce fighting between rival factions has resumed, putting the already tenuous August 2015 peace deal in jeopardy. Hundreds are alleged to have been killed in the last few days, and thousands displaced. Command and control on both sides of the fighting appears to have broken down. Nothing seems safe as UN buildings and personnel have been attacked and U.S. diplomatic vehicles have come under fire. Helicopter gunships and tanks have been deployed along with other heavy artillery. Regional leaders are actively promoting a ceasefire, but as someone from that region once told me, "The guns talk louder than the voice."
NOOW partner The Enough Project has released a series of statements on the eve of South Sudan's fifth year of independence.
Read those statements after the jump.