Drawing upon the voices of cultural leaders to protect and assist the vulnerable, marginalized, and displaced.
Not On Our Watch is a federally registered 501(c)3 charity.
New Satellite Sentinel Project (SSP) imagery shows more than 535 huts in and around Malakal have been destroyed in recent clashes, in direct violation the January cessation of hostilities agreement between South Sudan's combatant forces (Figure 1, above) DigitalGlobe’s analysis confirms that at least 57 huts in a residential area of town were destroyed, likely as a result of renewed fighting between the South Sudanese army and the armed opposition. (follow the link for Figure 2) The destruction of another 77 huts in Malakal's market area is evident in imagery collected on February 17, and 40 percent of market stalls are visibly destroyed or severely damaged. (follow the link for Figure 3) More than 400 huts were destroyed in the east of the city.
UPDATE: both Not On Our Watch Omaze raffles have now ended. Thank you to all those who entered and supported the Satellite Sentinel Project.
Not On Our Watch is partnering with Omaze and The Enough Project in an exciting initiative giving individuals a chance to enter a raffle to win one of two once-in-a-lifetime experiences: spend the evening and walk down the red carpet with George Clooney and join award-winning composer Hans Zimmer in the final studio scoring session for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
This op-ed was written by NOOW partner The Enough Project Associate Policy Director, Brian Adeba, and originally appeared in Sudan Tribune.
The replacement of South Sudan’s First Vice President Riek Machar with Taban Deng is a well-tested policy that dates back to the 1980s that the ruling Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) party has employed to purchase the loyalty of groups opposed to it. Following a shoot-out between the bodyguards of President Salva Kiir and Machar earlier this month, relations between both men worsened, culminating in an attack on the latter’s residence in the capital Juba. Machar fled the city and said he would only return if regional peacekeeping troops were allowed in the country to act as a buffer between the two forces.
Power play “brings South Sudan a step closer to full-scale war”
Read more after the jump.
Upon returning from South Sudan this past week, Not On Our Watch board member John Prendergast has addressed the current situation in-country.
Click through to read further.
This op-ed, authored by board member John Prendergast, originally appeared on The Daily Beast.
Just a day after South Sudan marked its fifth anniversary as the world's newest independent country, fierce fighting between rival factions has resumed, putting the already tenuous August 2015 peace deal in jeopardy. Hundreds are alleged to have been killed in the last few days, and thousands displaced. Command and control on both sides of the fighting appears to have broken down. Nothing seems safe as UN buildings and personnel have been attacked and U.S. diplomatic vehicles have come under fire. Helicopter gunships and tanks have been deployed along with other heavy artillery. Regional leaders are actively promoting a ceasefire, but as someone from that region once told me, "The guns talk louder than the voice."
NOOW partner The Enough Project has released a series of statements on the eve of South Sudan's fifth year of independence.
Read those statements after the jump.